Thank you for nominating your interest in participating in this Special Interest Forum. This forum specifically looks at Study Abroad and Exchange (SA/Ex), and issues surrounding student mobility generally.
This forum will explore the current issues in the sector, and provide a chance to share best practice and innovative ideas and programs.
Broadly the themes of the forum will fall within the areas of:
- Financial, compliance and funding issues
- Student welfare, promotion of mobility and enhancement the experience
- Academic and curriculum matters
The content covered in the forum will be nominated by the participants, and ideas for discussion are sought in advance. Participants should reflect on the issues facing their work in the sector, and send a short list of at least 3 challenges and 1 opportunity to the forum chair by Friday 1st December by email to email@example.com.
Ideas to stimulate participants’ reflections on challenges and opportunities may include:
- Destinations – how do levels of interest in Asia compared to USA/Europe for your institution?
- Curriculum – how does your institution fit an overseas experience in to the curriculum of accredited programs?
- Language ability of outgoing students – Are students limited in their choice of destination by their language ability?
- Safety/risk while abroad – do Australian universities prepare students enough? Does insurance cover enough?
- Quality vs Quantity – pressure to increase numbers of students going on mobility, how to balance this with ensuring the quality of the programs?
- Returning students – how to reintegrate students and facilitate their use of their overseas experience moving forward with their studies/careers?
- Equity – Is an overseas experience still the domain of the privileged? How to increase representation by traditionally disadvantaged student cohorts
- Funding – Given the current reliance on New Colombo Plan funding, what would your institution do in a post NCP world?
We will also adhere to Chatham House rules. This is important to ensure that delegates are free to express views that may not be those of their organisations.
- Welcome and introduction
- Appointment of Note taker
- Confirmation of questions/issues to be discussed
- Agreement on order of issues to be discussed
- Recommendations for future SIF/ISANA/ANZSSA (if any)